A Lovely Waste of Space
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

....., )

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Life Changing Books

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Eekaboo

Eekaboo

Life Changing Books Empty
PostSubject: Life Changing Books   Life Changing Books Icon_minitimeSat Mar 06, 2010 9:06 pm

Just list books that you think have affected your life in some major way and explain. Recommend new books to people here as well.

So, a book that changed my life was Gone With The Wind by Margaret Mitchell. I read it when I had broken my ankle during the summer of 2007. I was at home, had nothing to do since I was on crutches for a month, so I borrowed my grandmother's copy. I read it non-stop. If you've ever seen the book, it's massive. It took me the whole month to read it. There was a character in Gone With the Wind named Melanie that always struck me as annoying when the book started out. She was always cheerful, nothing ever got her down, and even when Scarlett (the main character) kept making moves to steal her husband, she still loved her like a sister. I used to sit there and wonder, what was it that made her so damn happy all the time and what was it that could make her unhappy?

As the book progressed and the characters developed under extreme conditions of the American Civil War, I started to admire Melanie. She was so strong in a way that I thought I never could be. I think the only reason I am the way I am now is because of her character. Her spirit was always high and always open and full of love...I wanted to be just like her.
Back to top Go down
http://lonelyruler.tumblr.com/
bloodiestkisses
Admin
bloodiestkisses

PostSubject: Re: Life Changing Books   Life Changing Books Icon_minitimeSat Mar 06, 2010 9:10 pm

I've yet to read a book that has affected my life like that one affected yours.
I was emotionally damaged by The Great Gatsby and Christine by Stephen King. But that's all. Oh, and if you ever need a book to read, The Tenth Circle is just...wow. The ending is...out there.
Back to top Go down
http://procrastinatorshaven.omgforum.net
scissorsbeatpaper

scissorsbeatpaper

PostSubject: Re: Life Changing Books   Life Changing Books Icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 2:27 am

Eekaboo wrote:
Just list books that you think have affected your life in some major way and explain. Recommend new books to people here as well.

So, a book that changed my life was Gone With The Wind by Margaret Mitchell. I read it when I had broken my ankle during the summer of 2007. I was at home, had nothing to do since I was on crutches for a month, so I borrowed my grandmother's copy. I read it non-stop. If you've ever seen the book, it's massive. It took me the whole month to read it. There was a character in Gone With the Wind named Melanie that always struck me as annoying when the book started out. She was always cheerful, nothing ever got her down, and even when Scarlett (the main character) kept making moves to steal her husband, she still loved her like a sister. I used to sit there and wonder, what was it that made her so damn happy all the time and what was it that could make her unhappy?

As the book progressed and the characters developed under extreme conditions of the American Civil War, I started to admire Melanie. She was so strong in a way that I thought I never could be. I think the only reason I am the way I am now is because of her character. Her spirit was always high and always open and full of love...I wanted to be just like her.

Melanie was incredible. It was easier for me to root for her though because we're so damn different, lol.

I just, ah. I love that book, Erika. So much. And I didn't think I would since Scarlett (the main bitch character) is an effing bleeping bleeper!
But the story is so grand and the writing amazing and everything about it blew me away. It didn't affect me as much as it did you, but it's definitely a book I'll never, ever forget.
Back to top Go down
scissorsbeatpaper

scissorsbeatpaper

PostSubject: Re: Life Changing Books   Life Changing Books Icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 2:36 am

Twilight. Because it was good enough to make me want to talk about it with even complete strangers, who ended up becoming some of my truest friends. Smile

Then, of course, the Harry Potter series. I don't even know why; Harry was, and still is, one of the whiniest toads I've had the grace to read seven books about. Maybe because I began reading them at the sort of tender age of eight; maybe the characters kept me in it; maybe it's the depth of my nerdility; or maybe it was just a really fantastic story. I don't know, they just changed me in some way. Like, growing up with the characters and wanting to have an escape like Hogwarts as it was for Harry, and then the whole idea of witches and wizards and gigantic dragons and fantastic adventures in a completely different world.... -shrug- I don't know...I guess there was a lot for me to like, Smile

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. Most emotionally damaging book. It's not even heartbreaking. It's excruciating.
Back to top Go down
Eekaboo

Eekaboo

PostSubject: Re: Life Changing Books   Life Changing Books Icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 9:41 am

scissorsbeatpaper wrote:
Twilight. Because it was good enough to make me want to talk about it with even complete strangers, who ended up becoming some of my truest friends. Smile

Oh yeah....almost forgot about that one....XD Twilight as well. Which would bring me to the topic of...why doesn't it affect me anymore? I can re-read it right now and it has no affect on me like it did before. Did I use up all of my fan-girly-ness on the book three years ago to where I could never do it again...or have I just grown up to realize that it's just a book and won't be anything more. Sad
Back to top Go down
http://lonelyruler.tumblr.com/
LadyMinnyOfRaven
Admin
LadyMinnyOfRaven

PostSubject: Re: Life Changing Books   Life Changing Books Icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 4:05 pm

How about Twilight since thats how we all met, and I'm pretty sure when I moderated the Offical forum, I learnt new things working with people older than me.

I don't know if a book that got me through my parents break up counts, but Kylie Johnson's poetry book, 'Count me the stars' got me through it.
Ella Enchanted by Gail Carlson Levine and the Replica series by Marilyn Kaye where the books that made me what to write.

I don't think any book has changed me in a magor way except for the Twilight series, because I met all of you because of it.
Back to top Go down
bloodiestkisses
Admin
bloodiestkisses

PostSubject: Re: Life Changing Books   Life Changing Books Icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 4:35 pm

I guess you guys are right.
Twilight because I met all of you. And ONLY for that reason. Razz
Back to top Go down
lucky7

PostSubject: Re: Life Changing Books   Life Changing Books Icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 6:45 pm

I'd obviously have to go with Twilight as well, i dont knowif its because of my OCD that i have trouble letting things go or if its just cos i needed Twilight so much at the time but i cant let it go! Where most people have kinda gotten over it i havent Embarassed i still listen to the audio books, watch the movies and reread the books. Its quite sad really! At my age i should of well and truly gotten over it by now! yet here i was last week unable to resist buying a pair of twilight socks cos they were on sale. Im so pathetic Razz

other books that have had a great impact on me would have to include The Five People You Meet In Heaven and For One More Day by Mitch Albom, i think in a way they gave me hope?

NIcholas Sparks is my fav writer its not so much the mushy stuff that i like but maybe its that theres so much death but things have to go on...im not really sure what it is, but i loveeverything he writes, some more than others of course but i dont think theres been one i havent liked. I was completely traumatised by The Notebook when i read it so long ago and i think it even played a part in why i wanted to work with the elderly. The Last Song was Nicholas Sparks last novel and i have never in my life sobbed my way through a story like i did that one. The whole Father/Daughter thing in that story struck a cord with me and is what pushed me to have contact with my dad again. I knew i couldnt live with myself if something happened to him and things where left as they had been, i needed to know that i had at least put in my best efforts to have a relationship with him no matter what he's done or how angry i might be with him. The Last Song taught me a very big lesson about appreciating what Father you've got even if he isnt who you want him to be. Im going to go and see this movie next month by myself at like 10 in the morning with a HUGE box of tissues and hopefully an empty cinema!! I dont know how it'll go but no way am i going with anyone XD

I think im drawn to Paullina Simons in a simular kind of way, i love just about everything she writes (except Tully for some reason couldnty even finish that one) and i was so excited to have gotten to meet her last year Smile

Torey Hayden is an amazing woman and her books inspire me to be more than i am. I think it was Tigers Child that broke my heart and sucked me in all at the same time, how much of herself Torey puts in and the results she gets from working with these children astounds me everytime. I think the world needs more people like her. I only wish i had her persistance, patience and drive to make the world better for those who cant do it for themselves.

Nicholas Evans The Loop is another book i just cant part with, i guess it speaks to me with my love of animals. Ralph Helfer is the same, Modoc and Zamba are two of the most amazing books ive ever read, Ralph was such an amazing man, his love for animals and introduction to affection based training is just awesome. Everybody should read Modoc, but be warned my sister cried just with me telling her parts of the story in the car one day XD she refuses to read it because just that small snippet in a conversation had her in tears! Its a truly amazing story about the bonds formed between man and animal and the trust we have in each other.

Jodi Picoult i love also, especially The Pact and Plain Truth, i love them all but Plain Truth really got to me for some reason. and i think thats way more than enough because if i dont stop now i never will, when i start on books i dont stop!
Back to top Go down
bloodiestkisses
Admin
bloodiestkisses

PostSubject: Re: Life Changing Books   Life Changing Books Icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 7:26 pm

Aw, that's not pathetic Karen. And Jodi Picoult is amazing.
Back to top Go down
scissorsbeatpaper

scissorsbeatpaper

PostSubject: Re: Life Changing Books   Life Changing Books Icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 7:27 pm

lucky7 wrote:

other books that have had a great impact on me would have to include The Five People You Meet In Heaven and For One More Day by Mitch Albom, i think in a way they gave me hope?

I did a report on For One More Day. It's a lovely story. Crying or Very sad
Did you read Tuesdays With Morrie, Karen?
Back to top Go down
lucky7

PostSubject: Re: Life Changing Books   Life Changing Books Icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 9:50 pm

i havent yet but ive been meaning to, is it any good? I really want to read 'Have A Little Faith' i keep putting off buying it but i'll end up caving soon cos i really want to read it! i might see if my librarys got tuesdays with Morrie
Back to top Go down
scissorsbeatpaper

scissorsbeatpaper

PostSubject: Re: Life Changing Books   Life Changing Books Icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 10:17 pm

I know it's changed some people's lives, aha.
Not mine, but it did give me perspectives to consider. And a long cry, lol.
It's an emotional, touching little book. I love you
Back to top Go down
lucky7

PostSubject: Re: Life Changing Books   Life Changing Books Icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 10:20 pm

aw well in that case i really need to go get it!
Back to top Go down
scissorsbeatpaper

scissorsbeatpaper

PostSubject: Re: Life Changing Books   Life Changing Books Icon_minitimeTue Mar 09, 2010 9:57 pm

YESSS KAREN~
And then, if you're bored, and I'm bored, we can talk about it. Or something. Surprised
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Life Changing Books   Life Changing Books Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Life Changing Books
Page 1 of 1